Dec 09, 2019  
Academic Catalog 2019-2020 
    
Academic Catalog 2019-2020

General Information



Flagler College is a four-year, independent, nonsectarian institution offering programs leading to the baccalaureate degree. The College is coeducational and residential with an enrollment of approximately 2,500 students. Flagler has chosen to remain a small college to ensure that its students are afforded the opportunity to receive a more personal and individual education.

Founded in 1968, the College was established as a memorial to Henry M. Flagler, industrialist, oil magnate, land developer, and railroad pioneer. Flagler was a co-founder of Standard Oil and the single most pivotal figure in Florida's development. His remarkable vision helped to create America's largest company and to raise cities out of a wilderness on Florida's east coast. The construction of the Hotel Ponce de Leon in St. Augustine, the development of the city of West Palm Beach, and the establishment of the Florida East Coast Railway are among Flagler's many achievements.

The centerpiece of the campus is the former Hotel Ponce de Leon, a grand resort opened in 1888 by Mr. Flagler. This imposing structure is a complex of five buildings designed in the Spanish Renaissance Revival style. The distinctive architecture is  complemented by beautiful grounds and an impressive interior, which includes ornate hand-carved wood, panels of imported marble, elaborate murals, and Tiffany stained glass windows. The highly centralized campus includes fifteen other historic structures, a library, a student center, an auditorium, a gymnasium, an art museum, a laboratory and radio station for the Communication Department, administration buildings, and five residence halls.

The campus is located in the heart of St. Augustine, the nation's oldest city, near the Spanish Colonial downtown and other points of historic interest. The ideal climate, historic landmarks, numerous attractions, magnificent beaches, and Old World ambiance of St. Augustine provide an inviting campus environment for an institution of higher learning. The principal focus of Flagler's academic program is undergraduate education in selected liberal and pre-professional studies. The College strives to provide its students with a high quality education that is well-rounded, career-oriented, and enduring. To this end, the College offers a sound combination of the liberal arts, specialized areas of study, and learning experiences outside the classroom.

Although the cost of attending college has risen dramatically in recent years, Flagler has kept yearly expenses among the lowest in the nation for private colleges. The College's governing body believes that the opportunity for higher education should  be affordable to students and strives to provide students with a high quality education at a reasonable cost.

The College seeks geographical diversity among its students and strives to enroll young men and women who can benefit from an educational experience at Flagler.

Approximately half of the enrolled students come from Florida, while the remaining students represent 46 states and 50 foreign countries. Students are selected on the basis of academic preparation, scholastic aptitude, and personal qualities.

Flagler is an independent college, not affiliated with religious or governmental institutions, free to chart its own course, consistent with the highest educational standards, its traditions, and its stated aims. The College is governed by a Board of Trustees, which is responsible for establishing the broad policies of the institution.

History and Heritage

Flagler College is by most standards a young institution, yet its heritage extends back into the latter part of the nineteenth century. On January 12, 1888, the Hotel Ponce de Leon opened and received its first guests. It was the grandest resort hotel of its day and a landmark in American architecture. The hotel's poured concrete walls were an innovation in modern building construction, and its Spanish Renaissance Revival architecture, stained glass, and lavish decoration have drawn enduring acclaim. The hotel attracted winter visitors from across the nation and from abroad, including eight men who were U.S. Presidents. Other notables who stayed at the hotel include Will Rogers, John Jacob Astor, and William Rockefeller. The magnificent structure, now the focal point of the Flagler College campus, was the dream of Henry Morrison Flagler, the man for whom the College is named.

Born in Hopewell, New York, in 1830, Flagler moved to Ohio as a young man and earned his fortune in the grain business. Following business reverses during the Civil War, he entered into a partnership with John D. Rockefeller to found Standard Oil Company. In 1882, Flagler turned his attention to the sparsely populated and largely undeveloped State of Florida. The next year he came to St. Augustine and met Dr. Andrew Anderson, who became his close friend and business associate. With Dr. Anderson's help, Flagler constructed the Hotel Ponce de Leon, opening the modern era in the nation's oldest city.

Flagler expanded his activities beyond St. Augustine and invested in the development of Florida's east coast. First through his hotels, then through his railroads and the land purchases that accompanied them, he transformed tiny existing towns on the Atlantic coast and created new ones, notably West Palm Beach and Miami. He played a central role in fostering tourism in the state, and he crowned his career by building the Florida East Coast Railway from Jacksonville to Miami and across the open sea to Key West.

In addition to his coastal railroad and hotels, Flagler also financed vast agricultural enterprises and founded what is today the Florida Power and Light Company. The east coast of Florida owes its rapid development to the pioneering work of Henry M. Flagler. His record of philanthropy and public spiritedness remains unmatched in the state's history. Flagler died in 1913.

The legacy of Henry Flagler is bestowed on the College with a beauty that has not faded with the years. This legacy is a permanent endowment meriting the tribute of lasting remembrance and gratitude. Students, faculty, and staff are challenged to be worthy of the College's proud heritage and its sustaining legacy.

Flagler College was chartered in 1963 and was founded as a women's college in 1968. In 1971, under the leadership of Lawrence Lewis, Jr., the College was reorganized as a coeducational institution of higher education. Mr. Lewis, great-nephew of Henry Flagler, former President of the Flagler System and a philanthropist from Richmond, Virginia, served as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Flagler College during the College's formative years, from 1968 to 1988.

In April of 1971, Dr. William L. Proctor was appointed President of Flagler College, a position he would hold for 30 years. Dr. Proctor resigned as President of Flagler College in 2001 to accept an appointment by Governor Jeb Bush to serve on the seven-member Florida Board of Education. He continues his service to the College in the position of Chancellor.

Dr. William T. Abare, Jr., was appointed President of Flagler College in 2001. He began his career with Flagler College in August of 1971. Prior to assuming his position as the institution's chief executive officer, President Abare served as the Executive Vice President and Dean of Academic Affairs. Dr. Abare retired from the Presidency June 30, 2017. Dr. Joseph G. Joyner succeeded Dr. Abare as President, assuming the leadership of the College July 1, 2017. Dr. Joyner served as Superintendent of the St. Johns County School District from 2003 to 2016.

Mission

Flagler College offers an exceptional education through a challenging, inclusive, and supportive academic community integrated with the thriving culture and history of this unique place, St. Augustine. We foster intellectual, social, and personal transformation in our students. We prepare them for a diverse world that will always need discerning individuals, responsible citizens, and visionary leaders.

The College is committed to the preservation of the former Hotel Ponce de Leon and other historic structures that grace its campus.

Core Values

At Flagler College, we strive for excellence by living our core values in service of our College's mission:

Transformative Learning

We are committed to educating the whole person.  As a community of inquiry, we value freedom of expression and the bond between teacher and student.  We embrace a personalized education that is designed to transform lives and instill a passion for lifelong learning.

Respectful and Inclusive Community

We foster a sense of respect and appreciation for the dignity of all individuals.  We cultivate an inclusive and diverse community that encourages civil and productive dialogue across differences.

Citizenship with Integrity

We believe that ethical citizenship should be exemplified on campus and in the community.  We set high expectations for honesty, integrity, and individual responsibility.  We are deeply committed to building a community of trust.

Thoughtful Stewardship

We are dedicated to stewardship: to the care of each other, to the preservation of our historical buildings and natural resources, to the responsible management of our financial resources and gifts, and to the celebration of the remarkable heritage of St. Augustine with its vibrant cultures and history.

Vision:  A Holistic Approach to Higher Education

Flagler College aspires to become a model for twenty-first century higher education widely known for its challenging education emphasizing mentorship and attention to the whole person, a teaching faculty second to none, inspired scholarship and creativity, a signature curriculum grounded in a unique combination of the traditional and the new, and thoughtful engagement with the local community and the world.

The Campus

The Flagler College campus is a place of beauty and uncommon historic interest. From the twin towers that have so long dominated the city's skyline to the well-kept grounds and superbly designed and decorated interiors of the buildings, there are few comparable college campuses in America. In the descriptions below, buildings designated with an asterisk are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

65 Cuna Street*
This Spanish Colonial style building was acquired and renovated by the College to provide a permanent location for WFCF, 88.5 FM.

66 Cuna Street*
The two connected buildings house the Communication Department faculty offices and a state-of-the-art editing suite. Building appointments include second story porches, green lighting features, and parking in the rear of the building.

7 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue
This building adjacent to Cedar Hall was acquired and renovated by the College and currently houses Human Resources.

74 Riberia Street*
Built in the early 20th century in the American Foursquare style, the building is part of the Model Land Company Historic District and houses faculty offices.

Arbizzani Sculpture Studio
Originally a garage and part of the Casa Amarylla property, this building became incorporated into the art program complex in 2007.

Casa Amarylla*/Wiley Hall
Constructed in 1898 as a residence for the Hotel physician, the dwelling was modified to its current Colonial Revival style in the early 20th century. The building was rehabilitated in 1988. It currently houses the Office of Institutional Research, the International Center, faculty offices, and classrooms. The building is named for Mary Lily Flagler "Molly" Lewis Wiley, Henry Flagler's great-niece and Lawrence Lewis, Jr's. sister, who spent much of her childhood in St. Augustine and provided funds for the rehabilitation of the building.

Cedar Hall
Constructed in August 2004, the Cedar Street Residence Hall houses 104 male students. The building is constructed of concrete with brick trim to complement the Flagler-era campus buildings.

The Crisp-Ellert Art Museum and Alumni House/Anderson Cottage*
Dr. Robert Ellert and Dr. JoAnn Crisp-Ellert donated their historic residence to Flagler College. The Crisp-Ellert Art Museum, adjoining the residence, honors that gift and recognizes the couple's contributions to the College and to the St. Augustine community. The 1,400 square foot gallery enables exhibitions of works by Flagler College students and staff and visiting artists. Anderson cottage was renovated during the summer of 2017 to serve as an Alumni House and the Career Development Center.

Dining Hall*
A grand marble staircase leads from the Rotunda in Ponce de Leon Hall to the Dining Hall which is breathtaking in sweep of size, appointments, proportions, elegance and beauty. The rectangular hall features rich oak pillars and elaborate ceiling murals and is flanked by curved venido rooms. Lions' heads with light bulbs in their mouths encircle this magnificent space with Tiffany stained glass windows.

FEC Towers*, Abare Hall, the Commons Building, Parking Garage
With the addition of the Florida East Coast Railway buildings in 2011, the College enhanced the historic significance of its campus. The three towers, constructed in 1922, 1923, and 1926, served as the headquarters for the Florida East Coast Railway. Henry Flagler developed the company to link his chain of luxury hotels, including the Hotel Ponce de Leon. The three towers have been renovated to serve as men's and women's residence halls.

The newly constructed Abare Hall welcomed students in the fall of 2017. Located overlooking the San Sebastian River and adjacent to the historic FEC Towers residence halls, each of the suites in Abare Hall include private bedrooms, a small kitchen, and common seating areas. There are also three study/lounge areas located on each of the three floors. Abare Hall was named in honor of President Emeritus William T. Abare, Jr., who retired from the presidency in June 2017 after 46 years of service to the College.

The commons building, which links the FEC Towers to Abare Hall, has an interior lounge, as well as outside patio areas, a convenience store, fitness center, multipurpose room, offices, and meeting rooms. A five-level parking garage accommodates approximately 551 cars and is available to all students, faculty, and staff. The architectural design of the residence hall and parking garage reflects many of the design elements found in the historic FEC Railway buildings.

Hanke Hall
Built in 2012, the two-story, 12,000 square feet building reflects the Second Spanish Period style. The courtyard entry is highlighted by a tiled fountain designed by Flagler College Fine Arts majors. Hanke Hall houses Flagler College's Office of Enrollment Management, which consists of the Office of Admissions and the Office of Financial Aid. The building is named for Col. G.F. Robert Hanke, USMC (Ret.), a member of the College's Board of Trustees and a great-grandson of Henry M. Flagler.

Kenan Hall*
North of the Dining Hall is Kenan Hall, the College's principal academic building. It contains classrooms and seminar rooms, faculty offices and laboratories. The facility is named for William R. Kenan, Jr., an industrialist, philanthropist, brother-in-law, and business associate of Henry M. Flagler.

Lewis Auditorium at Flagler College
The Flagler College Auditorium opened in 1991 and underwent a major renovation in the summer of 2012. The Board of Trustees renamed the building Lewis Auditorium to recognize and honor Lawrence Lewis, Jr., the College's founder and major benefactor during its formative years, and his wife Janet Patton Lewis. He provided the funds to construct the auditorium in 1991. The building includes a 789-seat theater, which is used by the College's Theatre Arts program, for Flagler College events, and by many community organizations. The interior of the auditorium is free of posts or support beams to ensure excellent, unobstructed viewing for every member of the audience. The stage, equipped with a 24-foot diameter turntable, projects into the seating area, bringing action closer to the audience. The lobby, a sweeping crescent approximately 130 feet in length, is entered by any one of six sets of solid Honduran mahogany doors. The ticket counter, which occupies a central position in the lobby, is the former bursar's window from the Hotel Ponce de Leon.

Lewis House
Lewis House is a three-story men's residence hall housing 180 students. Constructed in 1987, the building is named for Lawrence Lewis, Jr., founder of Flagler College and great-grandnephew of Henry Flagler. Mr. Lewis served as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Flagler College from 1968 to 1988.

Markland House*
Markland House, home to the Andrew Anderson family for a century, began in 1839 as the centerpiece of a citrus plantation. The original eastern two thirds of the building is constructed of coquina stone, the same material as that used for the Castillo de San Marcos and St. Augustine's Spanish colonial buildings. In 1899, New York architect Charles Gifford and Philadelphia interior designers Karcher and Harpring orchestrated a major addition constructed of structural brick and transformed the building into a Beaux Arts-style masterpiece with colossal Corinthian columns. Flagler College restored the building to its turn-of-the-century grandeur for College-related functions. The second floor houses offices for College Relations.

Markland Cottage*
Located behind Markland House, this small shingled structure was built as the billiard building for the Anderson family. It features a deep porch supported on palm tree trunks and a heavy cornice under a concave roof. The building now serves as headquarters for the Northeast Regional Center of the Florida Public Archaeology Network.

Molly Wiley Art Building*
The fourth and fifth buildings of the Hotel Ponce de Leon complex received an award-winning rehabilitation and conversion for classrooms and studios for the College's Art and Design programs. The Edison Boiler Building is identified readily by its iconic smokestack, and the former Artists' Studios retains all of its exterior design and details, including the palm tree trunk columns on the second floor balcony. The building is named in honor of Mary Lily Flagler "Molly" Lewis Wiley, Henry Flagler's great-niece and Lawrence Lewis' sister.

Palm Cottage*
Built to house the steam powered dynamo that provided electricity to Casa Amarylla, the campus' tiniest building proudly boasts its Greek Revival temple entry supported on palm tree trunk columns. The building is located between Wiley Hall and Lewis House, and it houses the Honors Program.

Pollard Hall
Completed in 2014, the academic center comprises 18,600 square feet in three two-story structures, all connected by a one-story building that is used as a common area for students and faculty. The architectural design reflects the Second Spanish Periods. Pollard Hall features nine classrooms, five offices, a television studio, and multiple common areas.

Ponce de Leon Cottage*/Thompson Hall
The property is one of the few surviving "winter cottages" constructed for Henry Flagler. The College acquired the Queen Anne-style residence in 1983 and preserved its distinctive Victorian features, including projecting gable wings and dormers and an elaborate gingerbread wraparound porch. With a significant gift from Pierre, Shirley and Paul Thompson, the building was renovated in 2008. Thompson Hall houses faculty, and its double parlors are available for seminars and presentations.

Ponce de Leon Hall*
The focal point of the campus is the former Hotel Ponce de Leon, considered by experts as one of the country's best examples of Spanish Renaissance Revival architecture, and the nation's first major cast-in-place concrete structure. In 1975, the Hotel Ponce de Leon was listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and in 2006, the building was designated as a National Historic Landmark, the highest recognition a property in the United States can receive. The building was the first architectural commission for John Merven Carrere and Thomas Hastings. The Carrere and Hastings firm went on to design more than 600 projects, including the New York Public Library and the original House and Senate Buildings in Washington, D.C. Bernard Maybeck, later the designer for the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, served as one of the chief draftsmen for the Hotel project. Construction was the responsibility of the St. Augustine firm of McGuire and McDonald, former New England shipbuilders. Thanks to the Edison Electric Company's four direct current dynamos, the hotel boasted four thousand electric lights, and each hotel room featured steam heat. Water was pumped from four artesian wells, filtered through four fountains, and stored in the twin towers before servicing hotel rooms. Louis Comfort Tiffany designed the interior of the building with Hastings. Also, Tiffany created the building's 79 stained glass windows. This was at the beginning of Tiffany's career, when he was registering patents for his glass works and prior to the time he devoted himself to the artistic designs of lighting fixtures for which he is so well known.

George Willoughby Maynard painted two sets of murals for the Rotunda: Elements: Air, Fire, Water and Wind, and Exploration: Adventure, Discovery, Conquest and Civilization. Later, he replicated the latter set in the Treasures Gallery, Thomas Jefferson Building (Library of Congress). He also created murals for the Hotel Dining Room. His other commissions included Trinity Church in Boston and the Metropolitan Opera House in New York City.

The Flagler Room, located adjacent to and west of the Rotunda, served originally as the Hotel's Ballroom. The Flagler Room consists of five distinct sections, four of which house furniture, paintings, decorative arts objects and memorabilia from the building's era as a hotel, and are a memorial to Henry Morrison Flagler. The central section is a lecture/recital area that seats approximately 150 people. The focal point of the central section is the onyx marble fireplace. The ceiling in the central section denotes the explorer Ponce de Leon with ships, conquistador helmets, and the dates of his discoveries. The date of the Hotel's completion is noted there also.

Sections of the ceilings are decorated with paintings on canvas. These paintings, measuring 25 feet by 15 feet, are the work of artisan Virgilio Tojetti. Most prominent, however, are the eleven sparkling chandeliers of crystal created by Tiffany. Henry Flagler acquired a magnificent collection of paintings, many of which are owned by Flagler College today and are exhibited in the building.

The College undertook the restoration of the fourth floor Solarium to coincide with the celebration of the 125th Anniversary of the opening of the Hotel Ponce de Leon in 2013. Originally used as a space for leisure and social events, the outdoor patios afford glorious vistas of the St. Augustine skyline. The renovated Solarium will serve as a gathering place for the college faculty and student body as well as a site for social events.

Proctor Library
Completed in 1996 and anchoring the northwest corner of the campus, the building is named for Dr. William L. Proctor, President of the College from 1971 to 2001. The three-story building, with its muted grey walls and brick banding, reflect the architectural style of the Hotel Ponce de Leon. The first floor includes the circulation desk, reference materials, computer stations, audiovisual equipment, seating for both collaborative projects and individual study, and administrative offices for the library. Upper floors contain shelving for the collection; lecture, conference and group study rooms; computer and graphic design labs; administrative and faculty offices. The Center for Advising and Core Experience (CACE) is located on the third floor of the Proctor Library.

Ringhaver Student Center
The Ringhaver Student Center was completed in August 2007. This two-story building features a dining area, lounges, and a recreation room on the first floor. The second floor includes five classroom, a multi-purpose room, group study rooms, the Office of Student Services, the Office of the Registrar, the Title IX Coordinator, and offices for student clubs and organizations, including the Student Government Association and the Campus Activities Board. The 43,000 square foot building is named for the Ringhaver family. L.C. "Ring" Ringhaver and his sons, Lance C. Ringhaver and Randal L. Ringhaver, served on the College's Board of Trustees.

Seavey Cottage/Union Generals' House*
Built by Henry Flagler in 1887 for Osborn D. Seavey, manager of the Hotel Ponce de Leon, this winter cottage was restored in 1987. Its ashlar-scored natural stucco finish and red brick quoins and window duplicate the color pattern of the former Hotel Ponce de Leon. Some prominent residents of the cottage throughout the years were West Point graduate General John M. Schofield, from 1899 until his death in 1906, and General Martin D. Hardin from 1916 to 1923, when he died. The building is used for the Office of Business Services.

Recreational facilities on campus include a gymnasium, six tennis courts, and a swimming pool. The athletic field, located two miles from the campus, provides a baseball stadium, a soccer field, and a softball stadium.

Tinlin House
The building, located at 65 Valencia Street, houses the Counseling Center as well as offices for the College's Youth Ministry Program.

Affiliations

The St. Augustine Foundation, Inc. is located in the heart of St. Augustine at 97 St. George Street, approximately three blocks from the Flagler College campus. The St. Augustine Foundation was established by the late Lawrence Lewis, Jr., of Richmond, Virginia, for the purpose of preserving and exploring archaeological treasures unique to the nation's oldest city. The Foundation is dedicated to the support of archival, historical, and archaeological research. The St. Augustine Foundation underwrites the Center for Historic Research, which is dedicated to the search and recovery of primary documentation on Spanish-Colonial Florida and to the dissemination of historic data arising out of those materials. The Center features a sixteenth-century database and has recently added microfilm of the Revillagigedo Papers, an entire private archives of the families descended from Pedro Menendez de Aviles, the founder of St. Augustine.

The St. Augustine Foundation also helps to underwrite the Historic St. Augustine Research Institute, which is a cooperative effort involving Flagler College, the University of Florida, and the Foundation. The purpose of the Institute is to conduct historical, archaeological, and architectural studies in St. Augustine. The Institute combines the talents of some of the most noted historians, architects, archaeologists, and researchers with the resources of the Foundation.

Flagler College is the host institution for the Florida Public Archaeology Network/Northeast Regional Center, one of four regional centers in the state. The Florida Public Archaeology Network (FPAN) is a statewide program administered by the University of West Florida in cooperation with the Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources. Created during the 2004 legislative session as part of the Florida Historical Resources Act, the purpose of FPAN is to communicate the importance of, and facts about, Florida archaeology to state residents and visitors, and to discover, understand, and protect the state's archaeological resources. The Northeast Regional Center offers specific programs to promote the region's archaeology and history, to encourage heritage tourism, and to advance appreciation of archaeological resources around the state.

Accreditation and Charter

Flagler College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate and master's degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Flagler College.

The College is chartered under the general laws of the State of Florida as a private, non-profit, and non-denominational liberal arts college with authority to grant the full range of earned and honorary degrees. Flagler College is approved by the U.S. Department of Justice for foreign students; and approved for the training of Veterans and War Orphans by the Florida Department of Veterans Affairs.

Flagler College Faculty Senate

The Flagler College faculty has the responsibility for the recommendation of general policies on academic matters including student admission and graduation standards, the college academic calendar, requirements for degrees, and the establishment or modification of any department or program. The Faculty Senate represents the teaching faculty in the exercise of its responsibility. The Faculty Senate may be advisory in other matters. The faculty also has the responsibility for the legislation of general policies concerning faculty matters such as the curriculum, faculty qualification, faculty duties and promotion, and the Faculty Handbook. The Faculty Senate represents the teaching faculty in the exercise of these responsibilities.

The Faculty Senate was formed in 2007 to represent the full time, teaching faculty of the college in matters impacting the faculty and the academic programs of the college. The Senate is composed of ten members elected by the faculty at large and departmental representatives chosen by the faculty members in each department. The Vice President of Academic Affairs is also a voting member. The Senate oversees the General Education curriculum and the requirements for majors and minors. It approves new courses and makes recommendations for changes to admission and graduation requirements. Much of the work of the Senate is done through its various committees. The Senate meets monthly through the fall and spring semesters; its meetings are open to the college community.

External Programs: Flagler College-Tallahassee

Flagler College offers programs leading to the Bachelor of Arts degree in accounting, business administration, elementary education, elementary education/exceptional student education, secondary education/English, and strategic communication (public relations) on the campus of Tallahassee Community College in Tallahassee, Florida. Students may select between day and evening programs.

Students who wish to enroll at the Flagler College-Tallahassee campus must have completed an associate of arts degree, an associate of science degree, or a minimum of 60 semester hours of transferable credit. The degree or credits must be earned from a regionally accredited college or university. A maximum of 64 semester hours may be transferred from a two-year college, and a maximum of 75 semester hours may be transferred from a four-year college or university. Applicants must submit an official transcript from each postsecondary institution attended.

Prospective students may request additional information from Flagler College-Tallahassee, 444 Appleyard Drive, Tallahassee, Florida 32304. Specific questions concerning admission, financial aid, or academic programs should be addressed to the Dean of Flagler College-Tallahasee at 850-201-8070.

The Community

Flagler College is located in the heart of the historic city of St. Augustine on the northeastern coast of Florida. This delightful community lies within sight of the Atlantic Ocean on the banks of the Matanzas River, which is part of the Intracoastal Waterway that links Florida and New England. St. Augustine is approximately 35 miles south of Jacksonville and 55 miles north of Daytona Beach. Major highways leading to Palm Beach, Orlando, and other Florida cities provide excellent access to many well-known attractions.

By actual date of founding, St. Augustine can trace its origin back 42 years before Jamestown and 55 years prior to Plymouth to a day in 1565, when Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles claimed the site for King Philip II of Spain and established a small outpost. Since that time, four centuries of exciting history under Spanish, English, and American rule have given the city a pride in its heritage and a charm all its own.

Famous as a tourist center, rich in history, and beautifully maintained in all its storied charm, St. Augustine combines elements of the past with a lively appreciation of the present. Indeed, St. Augustine with its long history and its museums and cultural activities is a city of many interests and, as such, is perhaps more ideally suited than most to be the seat of a small, regional college. Community resources complement and enrich the educational program at Flagler.

Historic information courtesy Leslee Keys, Hotel Ponce de Leon: The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of Flagler's Gilded Age Palace, UPress of FL, 2015.

Student Right To Know: March 15, 2018 Report

Headcount

Non-duplicated Headcount 2018-20191 Non-Resident Alien Black, non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaskan Native Asian or Pacific Islander Hispanic White Race/Ethnicity Unknown TOTAL
  Number Number Number Number Number Number Number Number
Total 133 96 8 27 263 2025 206 2758
Male 73 48 3 6 89 639 67 925
Female 60 48 5 21 174 1386 139 1833

Graduation Rate2

Six-year Graduation Rate Non-Resident Alien Black, non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaskan Native Asian or Pacific Islander Hispanic White Race/Ethnicity Unknown TOTAL
  Grad Rate Grad Rate Grad Rate Grad Rate Grad Rate Grad Rate Grad Rate Grad Rate
Total 56% 35% 25% 100% 61% 52% 61% 53%
Male 52% 50% 0% 100% 56% 46% 62% 49%
Female 64% 11% 25% 100% 66% 55% 61% 55%

¹ Fall and spring
2 Cohort definition related to IPEDS reported first-time, in college, freshman; cohort 2013 (e.g., 49% of white males who started in their cohort, graduated within six years.)

Athletic Scholarship Headcount

Headcount of those who rec'd Athletic Scholarship during 2018-19

Non-Resident Alien

Black non-Hispanic

American Indians or Alaskan Native

Asian or Pacific Islander

Hispanic

White

Race Unknown

Total

  Number Number Number Number Number Number Number Number
Basketball                
Total 4 16 0 0 0 2 3 25
Male 3 6 0 0 0 2 0 11
Female 1 10 0 0 0 0 3 14
Baseball                
Total 0 1 0 0 6 22 0 29
Male 0 1 0 0 6 22 0 29
Female 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Cross-Country                
Total 1 1 0 0 1 16 1 20
Male 0 1 0 0 0 9 0 10
Female 1 0 0 0 1 7 1 10
All other sports
combined
               
Total 60 2 0 0 3 38 5 108
Male 25 1 0 0 1 8 1 36
Female 35 1 0 0 2 30 4 72
Total of all sports                
Total 65 20 0 0 10 78 9 182
Male 28 9 0 0 7 41 1 86
Female 37 11 0 0 3 37 8 96